www.milliekuyer.com

www.milliekuyer.com

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

BC Winter Road Trip! (Part 2/2)

<<< .... CONTINUED

I was really looking forward to getting to Pemberton because it is a town I have spent very little time in. In order to explore it a little more, I decided to camp in my truck over night. I picked a quiet street, set up my bed and played guitar to pass the time. I discovered I could poach internet off of someone nearby so I watched a couple Ted Talks too before calling it a night. I slept for about 4 hours before I woke to tapping on my window. Turned out the cops needed to check in on me. They were friendly and didn't have a problem with me camping out, but they suggested I move to a safer location more central to town since I had chosen a street next to a trailer park that was known for drunk drivers (surprising since I had seen nothing but mansions on the road I was on). The police officers recommended that I park outside of the police station if it would make me feel safer, but since I hadn't felt I was in danger I decided to park near a park instead. I wasn't keen on the idea of having the police watch me as I slept. Creepy. 

I left Pemberton after picking up a coffee the next morning and made my first stop only a couple minutes down the highway at Nairn Falls Park. I went for a short hike to the falls and captured some shots of the forest with its melting snow and misty morning light. Next I drove until I saw a sign for Wedgemont Trail. I slipped on my skis and skinned up a logging road for an hour or two until the trail became unclear and I skied down. It was a good thing I didn't try to keep going because I later discovered I was on the wrong trail, not that I would have made it to the Wedgemont Hut anyway. It was a difficult 7 hour trek to be attempted another day. 

Scenes from around Whistler, Pemberton, and Smithers. 

After the Wedgemont Trail sidetrack I continued on to Whistler where I was meeting another friend. I was incredibly lucky to have a beautiful place to stay that night. There was even a wood burning stove and three tier bunk beds in the cabin-like condo. 
The next day my friend Josh and I headed to Sproatt Mountain for a ski tour. Our goal was to reach the alpine for some fresh tracks. The weather was perfect with a bit of fresh snow and the sun shining most of the day. However, despite our gruelling efforts to navigate up and around cliff benches, we accepted that we had chosen a poor route up and decided to accept our defeat and backtrack. It was unfortunate, but at least we gained a better idea of the route for next time and we definitely got a good work out. 

Playing in the snow below the alpine at Mount Sproatt. 

After nearly two weeks of being on the road, I was nearly home, but not quite. I met up with some close friends for a home-cooked dinner and then we all ended the day with a bouldering session at 
the Hive. Not a bad way to end the trip. Not bad at all. 

No comments: